Thursday, November 4, 2010

Movin' on Up

Well, I'm into the big time now. I picked up 5th grade this week, so now I am full time. I think this would probably explain why this week has just flown by. Before you know it it'll be December and I'll have to leave Conn behind. As crazy as it may sound, I'm kind of sad about that.

So here has been my week so far. On Monday I had an exit interview for graduation. I can't believe that I am just a month away from graduating. I really don't understand how the last four years could go by so fast. It seems like just yesterday I was entering my first dorm on the first day of my Freshman year. It's just insane to me.

In other news, I implemented my first "technology lesson" this week. Really it's my second, because I did show a powerpoint presentation to my third graders about two weeks ago, but I don't really consider powerpoint "real" technology. So, I borrowed a Smart board from one of the kindergarten teachers on Monday to get my lesson started. The thing was crazy dusty, and the cords were still zip tied to the thing, so this teacher clearly hasn't been using it... I'm thinking about just keeping it. (Okay okay... I'll give it back). Anyway, I started on Monday with my lesson. I had a monster on half of the screen, and a blank page on the other half. The point of the lesson was that I would circle a part on the monster, and by using a word bank the student would right the correct body part on the blank side of the paper. The class was split into two teams and one person would come to the board at a time, switching off between teams. My idea was that this way the students will be practicing for the test, since the monster I used is the exact monster that will be on the test, and this is pretty much exactly what they will be doing. Well. I can say that my lesson went exactly as planned. And so far, only 2 or 3 students have gotten the labeling incorrect. However, for my first two classes, I think it may be the single most boring lesson plan I could have possibly come up with. I really don't know how I thought it would have been more exciting, but even I was bored to tears. I mean, one person comes up, I circle the body part, and for the next however many minutes the rest of the class and I sit there and watch as the students slowwwly writes the word on the board. And believe me, it is slowly. First they don't understand that they can only touch the board with the marker, because whatever they touch will turn to squiggles, then they have to find the word, then they start to write it, but oh no, they messed up half of a letter so clearly they better erase the whole word and start over. It was seriously excruciating. I couldn't think fast enough on my feet to figure out a way to fix it for my second 3rd grade on Monday, but luckily I had a whole new plan for Tuesday. I decided that I would have every person that is still at their seats write the correct answer down on a half sheet of paper, and if your whole team gets the words right (or the majority of the team, since I don't want to call out the one kid in class that can't figure it out...) then your team gets an extra point. I know, genius. Please, hold your applause. After that, it went much more smoothly. Although, it has taken us a lot longer to get through it than I thought it would... I slotted one day for it, every class has taken at least two, and there have been a couple that it has taken 3 days for... I guess I'll remember that next time!

I applied for my first teaching position yesterday (Shout out to Karen here J). I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty pumped. I mean, I'm not going to get my hopes up or anything, and I know that there is a very good chance that I won't get the job, but its just the fact that I just applied for a grown up job. It makes it feel so... Real. I don't know what it feels like I'm doing right now, but it's so exciting to think that in two short months, I could have my own classroom, and be a real life teacher. (And get paid to do it!!) It's very exciting.


And last but not least, I wrote another referral today. But this time, it was a classroom referral, not an office referral (thank goodness). Here's what happened. One of my fifth graders decided that he was going to stand up. In the middle of the carpet. During carpet time. When everyone else was sitting. I asked him politely to sit down. He refused. I asked him to sit again. He refused. I informed him that if he did not sit down, I would unfortunately have to write his name on "la lista". He refused. While walking over to la lista, I informed him that although his name is on the list, it does not mean that it is a classroom referral... yet... and he does have the chance to improve his behavior. He once again, refused to sit down. I then decided to ignore him, and continue with class. And he starts talking over me. Saying "well in drama I don't have to sit down. And Ms. Arch doesn't make me sit down. I don't have to sit down if I don't want to" ... and going on and on. So I regretfully tell him that he has now earned himself a classroom referral. He continues to be disrespectful. I ask him to leave. After assigning seat work, I went out in the hall to speak with him (I asked him to to go the art room, but he refused and instead stood in the doorway). While trying to calmly ask him to explain his behavior, he informed me that this is not my classroom, and he doesn't have to do what I say. So needless to say, he got written up. His teacher informed me that she told him once that she was going to write him up, and he told another teacher "I know I won't get in trouble, cuz Ms. Arch doesn't even know how to write an office referral". Ohh... So sorry for you, but not only do I know how to write classroom referrals, but one for you is currently sitting upstairs in the office. I win! Okay, so maybe I shouldn't be gloating... But I will not tolerate disrespect in my classroom (yes, it is my classroom... for the moment at least) and knowing that I actually do have some sort of authority makes me feel a teensy bit better about not losing my cool and completely flipping out on the little brat :) 


Thats all for now. I'm sure I will have many more stories to come... I still have a month left after all...   

No comments:

Post a Comment