Friday, October 8, 2010

End Of Week 1

Well, I made it. I must say, this was a busy week. I don't know what to expect once I start actually teaching classes. Did I mention that I start on Monday? The time has just seemed to fly by. I'm excited and nervous all at the same time. I know I've already said it, but I am really glad that I'm starting with the third grade. The majority of classes are so well behaved, it's a good place to start.

And I mean, I'm teaching them the human body... Just sing a few verses of "Cabeza, hombros, piernas, pies" and they'll be set right? Uhh... Apparently not. Coming up with 14 lesson plans about different ways to teach kids twelve words was one of the hardest things I've ever done. I mean, how many different activities can you do that teach the body parts? As it turns out, there are a lot. Lucky for me, there are plenty of preschool teachers that have no problem sharing their lesson plans, and converting those over to Spanish are fairly easy.

The thing I'm worried about most is all the different kid "things" I have to remember. Learning disabilities, ADD, Autism, Hearing Impaired, Narcolepsy.... That one still gets me. I mean, really? Yesterday the girl fell asleep in class and the boy across from her started poking her, but she was out like a light. I find that fascinating. As for the hearing impaired, I find that pretty fascinating as well. There are a few kids in the school that are hearing impaired, but so far I only have one in my classes. It's not the fact that they're hearing impaired that I find fascinating, it's how they adapt. When they walk in the room they hand you this little device that goes around your neck, it's like a little box that you can hold around your neck like a little purse. I was confused by this the first time that I asked my CT about it. As it turns out, it's a microphone. But the "speakers" to the microphone are like... in the kids hearing aid. Is that cool or what? I've never heard of such a thing, but I thought it was awesome. I mean, other than the little black box that this kid carries around, there is no way to tell that he can't hear as well as everyone else. You don't have to stand closer to him or talk louder. My CT said the only thing you have to look out for is any "private" conversations you may have with other students.. because as long as that box is around your neck, that kid is going to hear everything you say.

So starting next week, I'll just be taking things one day at a time. I'm sure I have a lot to learn, and my lessons are going to need a lot of help, but hopefully by the 5th time I teach it, I'll have some sort of handle on what I'm doing :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Heather,

    I am noticing how much more efficient Hoang is second time around! Second period has a definite advantage over first period.

    ReplyDelete