It's official. The dreaded elementary-school-germs have gotten to me. I guess I should have known that after 3 days of countless hugs, high fives, and handshakes, I would fall victim to a virus of some sort. I was just hoping that maybe I had some magical immunity to it. But oh no, that would be way to easy. I sit in the classroom or stand in the halls and watch kids as they chew their fingers, pick their nose, suck their thumbs, or cough into their hands... all while they are inevitably making their way towards me to touch something that I will undoubtedly touch throughout the rest of the day. I was lucky enough to just escape with a minor cold (so far). My daughter, not so lucky. 
Apparently the nasty little germs decided to travel home with me, and latch onto Peyton. After a trip to the doctor we found out that she has croup (which basically is just a fancy word for a bad cough) and an ear infection in both ears. I feel like while this may be the first "disease" I bring home, it most certainly won't be the last.
I'm pretty sure that I learn something new every day at Conn. Yesterday I found out that one of my students has narcolepsy. For those of you who don't know, narcolepsy is a sleep disorder. Basically, this student is allowed to just "take a nap" in my class whenever she feels like it. Really? I am so glad that my CT let me know this ahead of time, because that could have been a serious faux pas on my part once I actually start teaching her class.
I also experienced my first "lock down" drill. I have never heard, nor experienced one of these, but it was pretty intense. Not that we did anything, just sat in an empty classroom with the lights off (because we didn't have any students at the time). But the thought of ever needing to have a lockdown, kind of freaks me out.
I started a few third grade classes today, since I'll be with them full time starting Monday. It was pretty interesting, but the third grade is so well behaved (and low in numbers) that it went fairly smoothly. I'm pretty excited for Monday :)
Hi Heather,
ReplyDeleteI love your blog pictures and theme (if that is the correct term?). So sorry you are sick. I thought the croup was something my mother made up until I and my eldest son got it about 20 years ago. The horrible barking cough is unmistakable. If I remember correctly, a humidifier helps a lot! - Julie
Thanks Julie! I put a humidifier in there tonight.... And she's on all sorts of antibiotics, so hopefully it won't last long! (She'll probably get rid of it just in time for the next virus I bring home....)
ReplyDelete