So today marked the beginning of testing for my students. Because I am teaching at the elementary level, the students get weeks and weeks of practice with a unit before they are actually formally tested. Of course they are informally tested all throughout the unit.. through TPR and matching games, and the frequent activities. But over the next few weeks all of the grades will be getting their first, and last, formal tests from me.
Two of my classes were far enough ahead that they took their tests today. Now, before I tell you how they did, let me just explain how grading works. The students receive either a 1 (Performance is unsatisfactory), 2 (Performing below grade level), 3 (Performing at grade level) or 4 (Performing above grade level). The test that I gave today was to two third grade classes. Because they are working with the body parts, their test was to label a Monster with the 12 body parts that we learned, and then write 3 sentences using "el monstruo tiene" to describe the monster.
0-4 questions right was a 1
5-9 is a 2
10-12 is a 3
and 13-15 is a 4.
Basically, this means that as long as they can correctly label the body parts, they will get a 3. Writing a description of the monster is something that, yes, they should be able to do, but really it is not what is required of them at this grade level.
I graded Class X first. This is my "star" class. There are two students that are native speakers, and I think only 2 or 3 students that have disabilities (that may seem like a lot, but that is in fact a low number compared to my other classes.) The break down of the grades for this class? Well, one person got a 1, but this is because he is new to school, he started about 2 weeks ago, which means I have seen him a total of maybe 4 times. Now, could he have gotten a 2, or maybe even a 3, if he had actually paid attention instead of spending every class with his head on the desk? Probably. But I let it slide.. This time. After all, he did correctly label about 3 of the parts. The rest of the class? All fours.
Now okay, they have had this material drilled into their heads class after class, song after song... But really, I was pretty dang impressed.
Class Y, there were a couple of kids that got 3's... Three of them I believe. The rest got fours.
Although, I will say that I know for a fact that there will be some twos, possibly even ones, before I am done grading everything. I can tell you exactly who they are too. My little artist, who spends all of class yelling out "PIE!" (Yes, pie. Like the food. Not pe-ay, like the spanish word for foot) at random, and sits at his desk drawing war scenes all over his folder. Or miss distracts-a-lot, who no matter how many times I ask her to face forward, spends the entire class facing the back of the room. Or picking at carpet fibers. Or pointing to random body parts and turning in circles during "Cabeza, Hombros, Piernas, Pies. These kids, and a few others, may just end up with 2s.
But I think this is on them. The ones that actively refuse to learn, for whatever reason. Because listen, if the sweet girl that has frequent seizures, goes to special needs classes for pretty much every subject, but still pays attention in every class, if she can get a four, there is no excuse for you.
I'm hoping all of my testing goes this well. Because I must say, it feels pretty good to know that these kids know something because of what I taught them. Even Shout-out Sally, who every morning shouts random Spanish words all the way off the bus and down the hall... I can say, Hey, she's yelling Brazo and pointing to her arm, because of something I taught her.
Oh yeah. I'm awesome. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment